HL Essay Student Resources and Sample Work
These resources are ready to hand to students. They offer a description of the assignment and take students through a step by step process to complete a draft of their HL Essay.
Language and literature course, a note about the resources.
Step 5 of the resources asks students to write their inquiry question on a shared Google document that all students have editing rights to. The Google doc uses a “Red, Yellow, Green” tracking system so that students know when their inquiry question has been approved as “Green” or “good to go”. The transparent nature of the document not only holds students accountable for their submission, it also allows other students to learn from their peer’s approaches to developing and writing inquiry questions. The transparent nature of the document also ensures variety as the specific topics and inquiry questions are on a “first come, first approved” (traceable through the revision history of the document). While students may feel a bit self conscious about the transparent nature of the document, they ultimately appreciate the insights gained from the experience and appreciate the development of the line of inquiry as an iterative process. Once students are “Green-lit”, those inquiry questions can serve as models and examples for other students. A sample tracking document, with sample HL Essay lines of inquiry, is provided below. Additionally, there is a Word template of the tracking document that can be uploaded to Google Docs; it should easily convert.
HL Essay Sample Lines of Inquiry and Tracking Document
Sample hl essays.
Below are a range of sample essays that are all “good” to “excellent” and would be marked in the 5-7 range. At the end of each essay are holistic comments by criterion that identify the strengths and limitations of the essay against each of the IB Language A HL Essay assessment criteria.
The HL Essays below have been externally marked by the IBO on the HL Essay Rubric; final marks are provided in leui of holistic comments.
Marks A:5 B:5 C:5 D:5
Marks A:4 B:4 C:4 D:4
IB English A Literature: HL Essay Assessment Considerations
IB English A Language and Literature: HL Essay Assessment Considerations
Photo by hannah grace on Unsplash
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
404 Not found
IBDP English A Literature
Website by Mark Beverley & David White
Updated 22 February 2024
InThinking Subject Sites
Subscription websites for IB teachers & their classes
Find out more
- IBDP Biology
- IBDP Business Management
- IBDP Chemistry
- IBDP Economics
- IBDP English A: Language & Literature
- IBDP English B
- IBDP Environmental Systems & Societies
- IBDP French B
- IBDP Geography
- IBDP German A: Language & Literature
- IBDP History
- IBDP Maths: Analysis & Approaches
- IBDP Maths: Applications & Interpretation
- IBDP Physics
- IBDP Psychology
- IBDP Spanish A
- IBDP Spanish Ab Initio
- IBDP Spanish B
- IBDP Visual Arts
- IBMYP English Language & Literature
- IBMYP Resources
- IBMYP Spanish Language Acquisition
- IB Career-related Programme
- IB School Leadership
Disclaimer : InThinking subject sites are neither endorsed by nor connected with the International Baccalaureate Organisation.
InThinking Subject Sites for IB Teachers and their Classes
Supporting ib educators.
- Comprehensive help & advice on teaching the IB diploma.
- Written by experts with vast subject knowledge.
- Innovative ideas on ATL & pedagogy.
- Detailed guidance on all aspects of assessment.
Developing great materials
- More than 14 million words across 24 sites.
- Masses of ready-to-go resources for the classroom.
- Dynamic links to current affairs & real world issues.
- Updates every week 52 weeks a year.
Integrating student access
- Give your students direct access to relevant site pages.
- Single student login for all of your school’s subscriptions.
- Create reading, writing, discussion, and quiz tasks.
- Monitor student progress & collate in online gradebook.
Meeting schools' needs
- Global reach with more than 200,000 users worldwide.
- Use our materials to create compelling unit plans.
- Save time & effort which you can reinvest elsewhere.
- Consistently good feedback from subscribers.
For information about pricing, click here
See what users are saying about our Subject Sites:
Find out more about our Student Access feature:
- HL essay: sample responses
- Higher Level Essay
Sample HL essay responsesLinked from this page are some Higher Level essay sample responses with teacher marks and comments. We will be looking to add more examples, covering a range of different questions and different literary forms.
To access the entire contents of this site, you need to log in or subscribe to it.
Alternatively, you can request a one month free trial .